The Parrot AR Drone (Augmented Reality Drone) is so revolutionary it’s crazy! Its much more than a toy, its pure genius. It pushes technology to its absolute limits. This is an aircraft which is not only controlled from an iPod Touch or iPhone but it actually sends a video feed from a camera on the actual AR Drone to your iPod or iPhone screen!
Product RRP Price: £299.99
Cheapest UK Retailer: Simply Electronics, £289.95
What a cracking idea. It’s almost frustrating to actually call this piece of master-class a “toy”. This is not a toy, this is one of the most technologically advanced gadgets to hit the market ever! Can you imagine looking through your iPhone screen and visually seeing through the windscreen on your own helicopter – and then controlling the copter from the very screen that you are looking at? Well Parrot have made this a reality. There are even tons of games on the app store now in which you can use this product, ranging from overhead bombing games to 2 or 4 player laser combat.
- First ever Quadricopter that can be controlled via an iPhone or iPod Touch
- Play against other users via WiFi
- Designed for inside and outside with removable protective guards
- Live video feed (from two cameras, one facing forwards, one facing downwards) onto your iPod or iPhone screen
- New skins can be purchased along with other accessories or replacement parts
The polystyrene outer makes for great protection and stops the blades from getting damaged if crashed (which is very likely!). The build quality across the entire product is spot on. It has been designed very well and tested thoroughly. We couldn’t find any bugs in the build quality or any software issues.
At first it can be a little hard to get used to the controls on the iPhone’s screen, it kind of makes you panic a little and paranoid that your going to crash it. It lasts 15 minutes after a full charge so 3 or 4 charges later (or an hour play time) and you start to get the hang of the controls. Don’t tell Parrot but I crashed it at least 4 times in the first hour. Once you get used to it though, it is SO much fun! I raced a friend in his car with it and hit around 30mph! Great fun. Once you get used to the controls you are flying. The games you can download are fun and easy to use. Possibly the best gadget of 2010!
Open box. Put the pieces together. Install app on iPhone. Go. Two big fat thumbs up from iPod Technology here!
Value for Money:
£300 can get you a lot nowadays. Heck, only a few more ££ will get you an iPad! However, you really do get what you pay for and you can have hours of endless fun with one of these. The price will probably drop the longer it has been on the market, this should allow it to drop into the budget of so many more people than it does currently.
- Great fun
- Well built
- Easy to control once you get used to it
- Genius idea, concept, design and product
Latest posts by Matt Janaway (see all)
- The most exciting month in a long time! - March 22, 2011
- HOT! Oxygen O-Car Car Stereo finally arrives in the UK! - March 21, 2011
- News of a new iPhone Nano & some new reviews - February 14, 2011